Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Lives Too Slender


How long ago was it that Elliot Rodger resolved his feelings of rejection by killing six and wounding even more at Santa Barbara?  With our short retention, we’ve forgotten it, haven’t we, even though his problems could teach us a lot, especially when he lost connection with everything and everyone except World of Warcraft and the Lottery.

Now the delusion for this week comes from Wisconsin where two 12 year olds stabbed a “friend” 19 times as a rite of some sort that would get them to meet Slender Man, a stickman created as part of a contest and morphed into something that apparently way too many ‘tweens have decided is real.  

Really?  Yes, just check YouTube and discussion forums.  Even the conversations about the Wisconsin events mix fiction and reality.

Did I ever get wrapped up in my games and take them into reality?  Sure.  Mary Sue was my alter ego for years—until I was four.  And growing up doing the boom years of science fiction films, my friends and I were attacked by giant ants (“Them”) and blobs all the way home from the movie theatre.  That was when I was six and seven.  But even as I was playing up and down the town alleys and over several days, I knew the difference between the “game” and reality, and I had moved on to other things once I hit the double digits.

What were you doing when you were 12?  I was in sixth grade.  I was reading Hardy Boys and getting A’s and earning badges in Girl Scouts and participating in a charades club.  Sometimes I helped my dad in the garden or even on the oil lease, and I helped my mom bake in the kitchen and take care of my little brother.  I went to Catechism every Saturday and Mass every Sunday.  I was taking flute lessons and baton lessons and I was mesmerized with American Bandstand.  At school I was in the band and my entire class was in square dancing.  

I bet you can come up with a similar list that combines new adventures that expanded your horizons with family responsibilities that reminded you that you were important to others.  That combination of expanding experiences and assuming responsibilities seemed to be missing from Elliot Rodger’s existence?  What do you suppose is the situation with these girls for whom a bunch of pixels is more real than their friend?