Thursday, May 29, 2014

Something to Learn




After the most recent mass homicides I hear, “we should focus on the victims.”  Some even go so far as to refuse to mention the killer’s name.  While the purpose of focusing on victims is laudable, perhaps, and even wise if doing so discourages publicity-seeking copycat killers, I fear that another motive for some may be avoiding the complexities of the killer’s deeds.  Instead, we gravitate to what have become almost taglines to mass killings—mental health and availability of guns (despite the fact that three in the Isla Vista, California killings were stabbed).  This recent case is different from other recent ones, it seems to me, in that the killer, Elliot Rodger, left behind a memoir.  Though exhausting and depressing to read, and though it is reality as seen through the looking glass of a woefully troubled individual, it still points to some truths that need not pass through the NRA or other lobbying barriers--especially those involving the individual’s education and socialization.  It reveals a lot more, I think, but let me zero in on this area, one I know something about.  

A couple of qualifiers:  I am not a psychologist and make no pretense of analysis.  I have taught several community college students diagnosed with Asperger’s, however.  While that condition has its own challenges, he did not become a killer because of it. I also want to emphasize that my comments are not intended as criticism of anyone; rather, I merely want to observe the moments when another choice might help someone faced with making decisions for another troubled child.

I was chilled when I read his debate about whether to target the college or the community on the Day of Retribution.  What does his story tell us that could help others—parents, friends, and teachers—support a troubled student enough to decide that life is worth living? 

  •  Athletics:   Throughout life, his height troubles him, especially when it comes to sports.  Skateboarding offered respite, but what if a child filled with similar frustrations were to try a sport such as gymnastics where small build is a value?  Or a size-neutral sport such as golf?  
  • Learning:  The students I have had with Asperger’s are often bright, though often extra effort is required to get them to interact appropriately.  That appears to be part of the problem throughout his school years.  What if a similar child had a learning coach (see Supplemental Instruction, for example) in the classroom with him to provide interaction, guidance, and interpersonal communication? 
  • Socialization:  Missing from his tale is anything about giving—until he is in college with a life coach.  Wouldn’t some sort of sharing/giving ritual be a helpful routine for a person with difficulty communicating and feeling empathy?  Even setting a practice of answering a single daily “what have I done for another?” would have its own value.  I found the artificiality of setting “play dates” for him throughout his school years very sad.  Couldn’t higher ed. institutions provide an academic group environment with learning communities and opportunities for peer-to-peer collaboration?
  • Classes:  Why do students think less is better?  I shook my head each time the writer reported on his two or three classes.  And an online class for a person who needs human interaction? Why was 16-18 hours the norm in years prior to computers, yet now nine or 12 seems to be a full load?  For many college students, the other half of their lives is taken up with a job or two, which makes a light load wise.  But wouldn’t a student who is not engaged in ongoing activity outside of college benefit from a robust schedule with a variety of course demands (fine arts, phys. ed. in addition to traditional academics, for example) distributed across the week rather than a sparse one with long gaps between classes? 
  • College Choice:  Some people confuse community college with high school.  Wrong. Some schools are quite large:  Enrollment at Santa Barbara City College is at least 20,000 according to their web site, and my former school is comparable.  And, while I cannot speak about SBCC, I know that the commuter nature of my former school made it difficult for students to develop friendships, form groups, and become engaged in school communities.  Likewise, when a community college has no dorms, the lack of on-campus housing complicates monitoring students in need; there are no resident hall personnel to check in on troubled students.  Wouldn’t a small, residential liberal arts college with a strong support service for struggling students make sense?
  • Apartment Living:  An important part of the college experience is the campus life.  Apartment living away from the campus itself is not always ideal.  Wouldn’t a student needing to develop social skills do better in a living environment directly associated with the school, with campus supervisors present to provide support?
  • Apartment Living 2:  The killer lived in an arrangement where he gained roommates at random.  True, the roommate-at-random is often the norm in resident halls as well, but in that environment there is some sort of residence hall supervision available.  If I had a child with a known socialization issue, wouldn’t I be wise to work with the school to establish the best living arrangement possible? Though I was adamantly opposed to the elitism of the Greek system when I was in college, it has changed enough that I might have second thoughts if I were a parent with a college-aged son or daughter, today.  Who does a better job of research prospects than fraternities and sororities?  I would do my best to avoid the temptation to run a background check on the roommate(s) after this incident, but I would be tempted. 
  • Counseling Articulation:  The last pages of the manifesto identify a therapist in the writer’s hometown and life coaches available to him in Isla Vista, apparently from a private company.  Support from the school isn’t mentioned.  (It won the Aspen Award, which indicates some excellence in all its services, including student support and counseling. ) Were the services used?  Apparently not.  Why not?  This lack of articulation isn’t unusual.  Three times in two years, I had troubled students who had at least two—and in one case, three—therapists, who did not communicate with each other, or me.  Why can’t privacy regulations be waived in such cases to allow articulation among private and school counselors AND the instructors involved?

These are the education-related points related to the Isla Vista killings that struck me as significant to discuss.  I’m confident others who work with students will find more.